Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Tuesday Training

Today's Tuesday training is about the overall perfect blend of triathlon training.

I am so lucky to have found triathlon almost 20 years ago.  Back then, I was in grad school and I knew only 1 guy who had done some tris.  It was not a common thing at all at the time.  There weren't pool sprint distances commonly found now which serve as great entryway points into triathlon.  Obviously, I have grown to love the sport completely, and also really embrace it as a LIFESTYLE.  In fact, I am confident in saying that there is no way that I'd be as fit if I were a runner, or if I went to the gym regularly.  It is the perfect blend of training that you find in triathlon-- sometimes/many times overwhelming unless you are planning it out-- that keeps it fun, challenging, always tons of areas to focus on, dive deeper into, improve upon.

Sometimes people will say, "ohhh, I'm not a swimmer- swimming is my weakness" and maybe that is true, but it is true that everyone can say that to some degree about the different sports that comprise triathlon..... so overall, each race is really a blend of your various strengths/weaknesses.  I LOVE so much how this mirrors life, and what it teaches us.  If swim isn't your strength, you learn to be patient.  To get out of the water knowing that you have some catching up to do.  It teaches trust- to trust our bodies and our training, to get us to even out/balance out the rest of the race.
You can say likewise for any of the sports- swimmers usually don't feel like run is their strength, so the race is a different perspective for them-- to be confident through their strengths, and to still look ahead and forward, even as their tendency may be to think about who is BEHIND them/coming to catch them on their less strong events.

I've been sick/injured/less than ideal for over a month-- frankly since mid September, I've had something or other going on to limit  me in some degree.  I am hopeful that I am coming out of that, BUT, the coolest thing is:  at this moment, my bike and run strengths are not at their typical level, but it has given me time to work on my swim weakness.  I've had a few months of solid swim training- where I go more than 2x/week for a small amount of time- I really tried to treat it with the time it deserves, getting in 4/week of swimming!  (I haven't done that in years- really since Ironman)(13 years ago now!! YIKES)! 

I'm not at my fittest, but it has given me a new perspective on swim training, I've gone deeper into those workouts, rather than skimming the surface:  I've done long, I've added more short sprints into nearly ALL of my swims, I've begun swimming with a tempo trainer, I've done more drills than ever, my kick has improved, I HAVE IMPROVED, and I feel it.  I'm loving it.
That being said, I love the variety.  I love that in 2 weeks, I'm upping my bike/run, I have focus periods planned for endurance and building volume, but also within that working on speed and power.  I'm excited by the planning, the elements that need to be varied- the goals, the journey.

I love that training looks at the big picture- periods of rest/recovery are essential, and there is SO MUCH to get in!  Anyone who has ever been bored with their fitness needs to talk to me!  I love that training for an EVENT gives you this new perspective-- OF COURSE you are not going to skip a workout- there are only so m any workouts you can get in per week- they all count!  Your training plan  may call for a bike/run workout one day-- there is a REASON for that-- there is an objective that needs to happen from that workout!  Each and every day counts- even if the purpose is a recovery workout- your body improves because of all of these!  It is such an ART FORM, mixed in with science! 

It works for some people to be fit at the gym, to have a routine of classes, cardio  machines, strength and that is great.  Nothing works for everyone! I am so glad I have found what works and excites ME!  I am inspired, excited- there is so much to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment