Tuesday, August 6, 2024

CULPEPER OLYMPIC TRI 2024

 

Culpeper 2024 (Oly distance).

I’ve waited a week to write this and I want to get all of my memories of last Saturday down so that I don’t forget!

What a great day and it was so fun to race a new race!  I don’t do nearly as many triathlons as I used to do, and I repeat some of my favorites, so it is a rare treat to get to go to a new race, experience new roads and venues!

It was an especially nice treat to be able to go with my friend Rachel last weekend.  I drove and picked her up at 4am, got her bike on and off we went! IT was a quick 1 hour 15 min to Culpeper! I’ve driven by Culpeper so many times on the way to Charlottesville.  It was nice to pull off of 29 and have a beautiful lake and triathlon within a few miles of the main road!

Once the sun came up and we could see, it was a beautiful lake. It was surprisingly a freezing morning and I Hadn’t accounted for this and was SO FREEZING before the race- big mistake to REMEMBER next time that the mornings (especially in mountains!) can be cold!!!!

Anyway, we scouted things out, prepped and got ready.

The swim was a rolling start, which really isn’t my favorite.  I’m not sure if it is just because I got used to years of treading water with my age group, placing myself where I wanted to be, etc.  This just stresses me out more.  THIS YEAR PARTICULARLY! As they were announcing that there were sharp, jagged rocks at the start and to get into the swimming position as soon as possible.  This really didn’t sit easily with me.  When it was our turn to go, Rachel did a shallow dolphin dive in and I’m still tiptoeing literaly looiing around like ewww reallllllyy???  And then I am sure it looked absorbed but I like laid my body down in the water and began swimming!  It was a pitiful start and it made me feel mentally unready.  I get this thing within the first few minutes of a swim (possibly because I don’t warm up first… but I don’t’ WANT to warm up!!!) where my legs feel tingly and like they are tired.  I NEVER feel this in training in the pool. But, it does freak me out slightly and I’m like wondering if I’m dying from the legs up.  Anyway, I got past that, but it did lead me to some negative thoughts when it happened, like, “I really don’t know why I do this, I love swimming and training and doing all the things training- why do I need to do races?”  Well, I got out of that way of thinking after the 2nd buoy when we turned and I was BLIND.  The sun was rising and literally the angle made it so that I could see NOTHING, I had ZERO idea if I was headed into the right direction.  I saw a swimmer in front of me so I just followed them, praying they could see somehow? Finally I caught the “shadow” kind of of the next buoy that I was looking for and could go wtowards something that I knew was in the direction I wanted to head!  I was worried about the sprint racers starting and hoping I could get one loop around my course before they came in.  It all worked out okay and the swim course didn’t seem too busy.  I enjoyed the 2nd loop much m ore, once I was warmed up, felt more comfortable in the water, etc. I like swimming In open water, it just sometimes takes me until the 2nd half of the race to really begin enjoying it??!! I felt like I was swimming actually quite strong then, although I did get blinded at the same turn the 2nd time around- once again could see NOTHING at that same point in the race, but at least this time I just knew to follow feet and the buoy would appear!  Even though I felt like my swimming was strong, my time really wasn’t, and I think some of it was due to me not seeing those 2x, and also maybe some of my mental lapses.  It is ok, I got out, went into transition, helmet on, grabbed bike and OFF.

 

 

 

 

Once I was on my bike- it was a quick downhill into a turn and immediate uphill.  It was super short distance to get my foot in pedal and be able to secure it, but I did it quick enough.  And the climbing began.  So, this was a hilly course, but I will admit that reading the suggestion that it was “technical and hilly and to preride the course”  made me a bit unaggressive.  I was happy to have others biking along with me, but then again there was a period at the beginning of this race where there were maybe some people bunched up where I thought:  why am I doing this?  I just like to go ride my bike and not have to be passing/ trying to not draft/ etc. I did the first loop and then, knowing at this point what most of the course was like, I felt a bit happier and less scared of what the hills may be to come, so was able to get into the groove of pushing more.  I kept trying to stay hydrated, took a fig newton for calories, and pushed strong, but not overly aggressive.

There were some absolutely gorgeous points on this course. One climb looked like it was STRAIGHT up into the sky!! And we were surrounded by trees but I kept thinking- there is going to be a great view at the top of this!  And there was—beautiful vista of the blue ridge mountains.  Really just inspires awe and gratitude for being able to be out there on these courses.  And…. Yes, so this may be when I was like I LOOOOVE TRIATHLONS!  Disregard that I’ve thought multiple times now questioning why I even do these?!!!  I just get on a high and so appreciative of seeing places that are so beautiful that I wouldn’t have seen!

We got back to T2 and it was an odd downhill right into transition, but then I was off my bike- quick dropped bike/helmet and got my run shoes and race belt and was OUT.

As was my mental and written plan for myself: I wanted to go mile 1 with no judgement.  Hopefully I felt ok but no matter what happened in my body, I wanted to not let it lead to any stories.  And I did this.  It was a hilly first mile and my split was 8:22.  I thought not too bad for first mile plus this huge hill.  So, I said ok, let it go a little.7:32 next mile.  That felt really solid and appropriate for mile 2 but I wanted to complete the first loop before I made any increases.  Mile 3 was 7:28.  I was really happy with how I felt, my mindset, and also really liked the course. I think at this point I knew- be aggressive but smart and you can finish really happy with yourself.  Mile 4 was 7:54 (this was the big uphill at the beginning repeated).  Mile 5: 7:31- I was really working, but also at a place where I knew I could keep at it.  Mile 6 I said, give more and attack.  7:17 split (granted, this has a downhill!!!!) final 1:54 to finish line and I was really happy with how I felt this race.

Overall, the big takeaway for me was how motivated I felt after.  How much I ENJOYED the fact that I got up early, did something new, was open to being vulnerable in an event I didn’t know anything about and just being open to what came in the way of a great training day!  It delivered. It reminded me of years ago, being out in triathlons in the summer heat and why I loved them and got so hooked on them!

Loved the motivation.  Did NOT love that I got covid 2 days later. Sigh. I’ll be back at Culpeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment