Friday, February 18, 2022

When to "Call it"....

 

“When to call it”

So, I’m writing this at the end of a week of ughhhh.

I’ve been off- mentally, physically, energetically, the whole shebang.  I’ve tried to muster it up, put it back together, grasp onto any source of strength that I can to both keep myself going, but also provide for others- my family and also my work.  First clue this week was that I declared there wouldn’t be much for dinners.  I had zero to give.  We had oatmeal and smoothie, we scrapped together salad topped with any protein of choice, etc.  But I ended up not being able or WILLING to do that for my work.  I don’t want to give people an “oatmeal/smoothie” quality training session.  I had to cancel almost 2 days of work this week.

I struggle with this.  I struggle with what to do in times like this, because yes, it does happen to me.  I go to zero.  Zero ability to even have a full breath without huge effort it feels like.  And I sometimes think I can try to scrap by and patchwork myself into fullness to somehow still give a quality training session that I would like, but I realize I cannot do my full “thing” and I really don’t want to give LESS than what I feel like people deserve out of a workout with me. 

In a personal training session, I give my 100% attention, my 100% energy, 100% heart, 100% myself.  It isn’t just another session, it is THE ONLY THING to me.  Yes, my therapist has told me that I need to conserve my energy and not feel like I need to be the hardest worker- I shouldn’t be giving more energy than someone doing the actual work/exercise/training.  But, the reality is that I actually sometimes DO need to.  It is my job.  It is what I do, what I expect of myself, what should be expected of me, and sometimes that is the essence of being guided during a workout class or session to do MORE.  So, while I do need to be always aware of my energy output, what is necessary and riding that fine line, I recognize the value of being led to do more and that takes my energy, as it should. 

So, it is hard for me, when I realize I do not have it, to decide what to do.  When I do not have any MOJO to be intense- to move intense, to expect intense, to speak intense, to be IN IT FROM THE HEART, what do I do???  Do I give less?  And be okay with that?  Ewwww, that just doesn’t feel right, and that is not my standard.  I don’t want it to become my standard, I don’t want it to even become an experience.  I realize that sometimes people may actually WISH to have a workout experience with me where maybe my mojo is a little low😊, so I question, maybe that is good enough??

But, I cannot do it.  I do not want to.  I do not want that to be my thing.  I don’t want to be “good enough.”  I am passionate about the mental health benefits as well as physical benefits of exercise, and it means so much to me, that I cannot lower my standards to a level where I can fake it.  That is not me, I cannot do it, I want to be “all in” with knowing I am giving each person what they deserve for a workout.  I don’t want to risk less.

It's something I’ve learned along the way, after doing this for 22 years now (OMG)(seriously).  I go low with energy sometimes.  And what I have learned is, try to not fight it- accept that I Need to get still, get quiet for a day or two, let my heart have some slow beating, let my breathing come back, let my energy build, let my soul rejuvenate, and I can be my full self again.  Sometimes I question- is this fatigue? am I fighting something with my immune system? am I sick, is it allergies?  I am trying to learn the life lesson to stop telling myself stories about what it may be.  It is what it is.  I need energy, for whatever reason, let it be, and I come back.  I always apologize for having to “call it” and cancel, hate having to do that, but I would rather that than have to apologize for arriving not myself, not the full Sharon.

I’m always thankful that people seem to be more understanding of this than I find it easy to do for myself, thanks everyone…

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Sending good thoughts. Your doing an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! It's almost spring. thanks for all you do for us! You make us bette mentally and physically!

    ReplyDelete